Charlotte Fire: 3 dead, 2 hurt in scaffolding collapse at Dilworth construction site

CHARLOTTE — Three construction workers died after falling 70 feet from collapsed scaffolding in Dilworth, Charlotte Fire confirmed.

It happened just after 9 a.m. Monday at a construction site on East Morehead Street, near Euclid Avenue, firefighters said.

When firefighters arrived, Charlotte Fire Capt. Jackie Gilmore said they found collapsed scaffolding and workers who had fallen from the scaffolding. Three of the workers died at the scene, Gilmore said.

The workers had fallen about 70 feet, he added.

Paramedics later confirmed two more construction workers were taken to the hospital, but neither were seriously hurt.

(PHOTOS: 3 dead, 2 hurt in Dilworth scaffolding collapse, Charlotte Fire says)

Capt. Gilmore said the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating the case.

After the accident, Chopper 9 Skyzoom flew over the scaffolding, which could be seen hanging at an angle. The broken platform was along the side of a building. Directly underneath was what looked like scaffolding on the ground and wood scattered around it.

Dozens of first responders, including Charlotte-Mecklenburg police and Charlotte Fire, were at the scene investigating. A CMPD crime scene investigation vehicle also remained at the scene.

Channel 9′s Hannah Goetz saw other construction workers in the area who were leaving their jobsites. Capt. Gilmore said all construction work was stopped until the investigation was completed.

One worker told Channel 9′s Genevieve Curtis they were doing “as good as we can be.” Off camera, another worker said he was working at the site just last week and knew the three workers who died. He said the crew is like one big family.

The building where the scaffolding fell is slated to become residential living. According to a building permit application, the general contractor is listed as Hanover RS East Construction, LLC. Goetz called the number listed on the permit, but the woman who answered said she had no comment.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

(WATCH: First responders speak about deadly Dilworth construction site accident)